Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect!


In an effort to not spend a ton of money but also make something new, I took the leftover ground beef I never browned for the Shepherds Pie and then the remaining wonton wrappers I had used for the crab Rangoon's and made: Basil and Ricotta Beef Ravioli!

Now I wouldnt call this an epic fail as they were delicious topped with a spicy marinara - but I really missed the boat on the preparation. I came up with the concept that seemed flawless but then when it came time to cook - I forgot how to cook them. I opted for sauteing when shawn reminded me I should have BOILED! YOU BOIL PASTA, DUMBASS! How could I have forgotten! Sigh. I think I shall keep the filling recipe in my arsenal but next time cook it correctly. Also, I made a kick ass garlic bread.

(You're looking at all these carbs and saying to yourself, no wonder kate is a fatass. Well, I talked shawn into January 1st trying to slim down, signing a contract. He may not eat Brussel sprouts with me every day, but he'll himself try and cut down on the gluttony. So that leaves 15 more days of fatty recipes!).

Basil & Ricotta Beef Ravioli
Ingredients
1/2 package of ground beef
1/2 onion chopped
20 wonton wrappers (to make 10 ravioli)
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 bunch of basil
1/2 cup ricotta
Salt and Pepper to taste!
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 egg

Step One: Heat pan over medium. Add olive oil. then add chopped onion and garlic, saute until soft. Add browned meat, simmer until all the pink is gone. Remove and cool for 10 minutes.

Step Two: Chop the basil up (I used food processor) - and mix together with the ricotta. then add the egg. Once the beef mixture has cooled add to the ricotta mixture. Salt and Pepper generously.

Step Three: Assemble the ravioli! Like last time, scoop a tablespoon of the mixture into the center of the circle, wet around the edges and press another wrapper on top of it between your thumb and forefinger making a crease. set aside.

Step Four: I just sauteed in olive oil in a medium pan and served hot but I advise you to bring a pot of water to boil and when they rise to the top they are doneso!

GARLIC BREAD: slice a french bread baguette in half and quarter. Microwave butter and a tablespoon of chopped garlic. Toast until crispy!


1 comment:

  1. All you have to do is call it a Pierogi and they're perfect.

    ReplyDelete