Monday, September 13, 2010

Green & Gold Food


Its officially football season. This is my 3rd season as a fair weather Packers fan and so far its treated me nicely. While I can only think of 6 players off the top of my head, I still consider myself "into it". Its fun having never dated someone into football before Shawn, it allows me to have no other allegiance than the Green Bay boys. Granted I have been trying to be healthy but it was just way too enticing to try something I had been meaning to try for a while. This is less of a recipe and more of a semi homemade dish with a gourmet flare. Lets just say I made 2 pies and they were all eaten and nibbled through 2 games. Not too shabby!

Pictured: A Brat covered in green apple mustard (made by Alex La Motte himself!) and yellow mustard, held by Mister Micholic.

Tamale Pie w/ a Green Onion and Avocado Crema
Makes 2 pies.
2 boxes of corn muffin mix - jiffy.
1 lb of ground beef
1/2 a can of pinto beans
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon of garlic, minced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tiny diced green peppers from El Paso
1 cup crema
1/2 an avocado
1/2 cup of diced green onion, whites + stems
lemon juice
1 packet of spicy TACO SEASONING. (yeah, thats right, I dont front!)
a little shredded cheese, I reco cheddah!


Step One: Over medium heat cook the onions and the olive oil til soft. Add in the garlic and start to brown the meat. Once simmering add in the taco mix, tomatoes, beans and the green peppers and let cook for 7 minutes. Preheat oven to 350.

Step Two: While the meat mixture is cooling - prepare the corn muffin mix as directed on the box.

Step Three: Prepare the crema! In a food processor combine the crema, lemon juice, avo and green onions. Pulse til creamed and refrigerate until ready to eat pie.

Step Four: In pie plates divide the meat mixture into 2, then cover with corn muffin mix. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and bake for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment