As you may know we have returned from our honeymoon to France, Greece and a little bit of NY. We decided to go almost a year after our wedding for many reasons. We could save up time, money and not feel too much pressure to get on the kid train....and it was magical. I wont get the chance to tell you all in person about it so I thought I would take this opportunity to give you Kate's Top 10 Things About Our Honeymoon. In no particular order....
10. If I am acting weird it's because I am haunted.
On our second day in Paris we were up early due to jet lag so we set out on a journey to Pierre La Chaise cemetery on the outskirts of Paris. While it was only 9am and I'm pretty sure ghouls don't haunt during daytime hours I was still chilled to the bone in a "I walked into an open crypt by accident and now I hear the dead moan and can converse with famous deceased authors" kind of way....if ever there was a place to become possessed: it's here. I mean look how scary this shit is!
9. I Foie Gras'd My Face Off.
I dont have any pictures to prove it but day-um I ate my weight in goose liver. Before the ban in San Fran sets our city back to prohibition times banning fatty liver and refined sugars I decided I would eat my fair share. It was delicious. Don't get all high and mighty and judge....are you saying you wouldnt eat brains in Mexico? Or tongue in Romania? Oh wait? You wouldnt? Okay.Also, note that French food is rich as fuck.
I did hate that you couldnt get any real coffee (cafe?!), you could NEVER get it to go (why would you want to leave?) and ohmyhotjesus - never ever iced.
8. Optimal Versailles Combo: Bicycles, Rick Steves & SunshineLove love love love loved Versailles. Thank you Kelly Piatanesi for your recommendation of renting bicycles to see the gardens. When I think of riding through the french countryside this is it. Also, Rick Steve's audio tour downloaded on your iphone is great to skip the lines to rent them and also full of bad dad jokes. I love me some bad dad jokes at historical monuments. Now I just need to see the movie with Kristen Dunst to ruin it for me.
7. Visiting Friends Makes France More Funner.
I never felt like I had to see France. I didnt grow up worshiping Chanel or pining for Hemingway's Paris so getting to see what all the fuss is about with people who love where they are - was awesome. We stayed with our friends Michael & Natalie in Montpellier where they are relocated with Ubisoft. Unfortunately, I had so much fun seeing them, it barely registered we were in France! For all I could tell we were back in their old apartment listening to music, gossiping and sharing life stories. I adored France, but I adore my friends more. I resisted crying when we parted ways......but I'm still teary eyed in my heart.
6. Athens sucked. People warned us. FAIL.
5. Santorini Was Perfect In Every Goddamn Way.
4. Mykonos is as gay as The Castro But Old People Rule This Place. Enough said.
3. The Beaches Are Far Superior In Mykonos.
Go gays. The beaches in Santorini were nice but they were black sand and red sand which is cool in a biblical volcanic kind of way but these beaches were cool in a Travel & Leisure front cover sort of way. Much preferred. I am reading a book on how to write screen plays above. Also, the second beach is where I broke my toe rendering me unable to club and rave til the break of dawn.
2. If You Have To Leave Greece The Second Best Place To Go Is Home.
My first home! We stopped in NY and saw all the usual suspects. It was so nice being in Albany when it's not winter. Saw my family, saw my friends, saw a PHISH concert - and all in 4 days. I left my heart in Santorini, my brand in France, my soul in Albany. Now I'm SF and all I got was this lousy 10 pounds I gained on my honeymoon.
1. Who Cares?
The best part of traveling on 5 planes, 2 trains, 2 ferries and 1 bicycle was doing it with Shawn. We are great travel partners and we're almost ALWAYS on the same page. I saw some of Europe as a slutty, inspired, overly obnoxious American 10 years ago and it was a totally different experience as an adult being able to appreciate things and spend money. I could be anywhere with him and I would be happy. We loved learning together, swimming together, drinking a bottle of wine a night and then crashing looking at Facebook. We're made for each other and I fucking love it.