Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Journey


Yesterday was my 29th birthday. It was a lovely splendid day filled with many messages of celebration and delicious food and balloons. Shawn was a darling and surprised me at my book club with champagne and flowers ! I loved the gesture but I even more loved having a partner who would do little things like this for me. I am so lucky I could puke.

What does being 29 mean? And how do we measure age in relation to time? Because sometimes they seem to be 2 different things. 29 is equivalent to:

*Attending a 4 year college back-to-back 7 times in a row.

*If you could get pregnant at 1 and then had a baby every 9 months you would have 38 babies.

*29 years is a standard sentence in prison for murder - to life. So my entire life I have been alive could be your prison sentence. Depresso.

*The Berlin wall was up for longer than 29 years.

*The 29th season of SNL was 2006.

*Ive been with Shawn 3.5 years which is only 12% of my life. (dont check this math).

Anyway , I am just ready to be 30 and be done with it but will resolve to enjoy the rest of my twenties.

The recipe I made was for book club last night where we discussed the memoir The Glass Castle. It was a great book that follows a family through poverty and mental illness. There's a part in the book where they say they have nothing to eat but popcorn for a week so I thought I would take something simple and turn it into something spectacular. I think this is a great base for different kinds of combinations for the future.

Toasted Coconut Curry Cashew & Popcorn Balls
2 bags of popped popcorn (I used already buttered microwave popcorn).
1 cup cashews
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 cup light karo corn syrup
1/4 cup sugar
Ground Pepper & Salt

Step 1: Pop ya popcorn and set aside. MAKE SURE TO TAKE OUT ALL THE KERNELS of unpopped popcorn. Salt and pepper it to taste.

Step 2: Toast the coconut in a small pan over medium until brown. Combine with the popcorn.

Step 3: Bring a saucepan of the karo, curry and sugar to boil for 4-5 minutes stirring consistently.

Step 3: Toss the somewhat cooled mixture with a spatula until all the popcorn is covered. Using greased hands (I used olive oil) form into balls and let sit for 20 minutes. Then serve!

KK

No comments:

Post a Comment