Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We're Your Source, We're Your Times Union




I just came home from the long 4th of July weekend back at home visiting Albany. Sigh. It was so incredibly nice being home and it was just a very bittersweet reminder that Ive been gone for almost 10 years (on and off!). It has made something very clear: the girl who left at 18 is not the same as the girl at 28. I want to be close to family when possible later in life. Maybe not this year or the next, but maybe the next? Sigh. Anyway - we had a great time in Albany and these were the highlights:

  • Going to Alive @ 5pm and seeing the Gin Blossoms who are old and it turns out NOT the same band as the Spin Doctors. I waited a long time for Little Miss Cant Be Wrong and by god it never came.
  • Met with 3 caterers for the wedding and 1 planner. Also saw the site where we will MARRY EACH OTHER! Can you even believe it!? Still sounds like a fairy tale.
  • Had Kays Pizza. It also became evident that Albany can sort of be trashier than I remember. Alot of suped up trucks revving their engines for no reason and mullets. Go figure. I sort of liked it though!
  • Asked Mike O'Leary to officiate our nuptials! He accepted.
  • Taught Shawn more canasta.
  • Found out my cousin Mark and his fiance Johanna will get married in Majorca and it will be alot better than our wedding. Sad we wont be able to make it!
  • I didnt really run into as many random high school people as I would have wanted.
  • A very pregnant Christina beat everyone at Corn Hole.
  • I got to see Brett!
  • I fell in love with Mirk and the New Familiars.
  • I did not go to Lark Tavern because it burned down last month.
  • I got very lost trying to get to the Rusty Anchor because I was thinking it was the Riverfront Bar and Grill.
  • I stopped at Park Playhouse to watch them rehearse Annie Get Your Gun and had fond memories of being in that show as Dolly in 6th grade. I also thought I was better than the girl playing her now - even at the age of 13. And having not acted in 10 years. Maybe I stopped acting but I never lost the humility :)
  • I did not see my grandfather's grave, which I regret. But living friends and family took precedence. I will see him when I return...
  • Booked tickets for Thanksgiving! 10 Year Reunion anyone!?
  • Met Jess's new bf. Good times.
  • Saw an ACTUAL firefly. Eat that. Well not really!
  • Watched Shawn pretend to know the lyrics to Billionaire with Bridget.

Anyway! While I was home I didnt really do much cooking but my mom did. I am so lucky to have learned from her. For a snacky outdoor lunch I made these apps because I couldnt keep my mind off of them. They are based on the Texas Torpedos we ate in Wisconsin over Mem Day Weekend.

Spicy Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
2 Anaheim Peppers, seeded and sliced
Cream Cheese (like 1/2 a block)
1/2 dozen shrimps, tails tossed and deveined.
Bacon, 1/2 a pack
toothpicks

Step One: preheat oven to 350. Soak the peppers in water for 15m to dilute spice. If you love it dont dilute it. Simple as that! Assemble in this order: spread pepper on cream cheese, press in shrimp (uncooked) and wrap in bacon, pierce with toothpick.

Step Two: Bake for 7 minutes, turn, 7 more minutes or until crispy. If the bacon is not getting crispy switch to broil. Cool for like 2 minutes and then eat these puppies to the moon. Okay, that makes no sense but you get the gist.

No comments:

Post a Comment