Thursday, August 20, 2009

Corn Bread, Spoon Fed.

I cant bear to let this go one second longer. I have a problem that has become evident in my pictures from this blog: I EAT A LOT OF ASPARAGUS. Possibly too much? Here are the reasons, I confess:

1. Its the only green veggie Shawn will eat.
2. Its really just a vehicle for red pepper flakes.
3. Its gross but I get a little satisfaction from my pee smelling. It's like a science experiment I keep thinking wont work and alas - 2 hours later - fruition.




Anyway, last night we were wandering aimlessly around Whole Foods (I am on Safeway strike, sorry Natalie - the long lines, shitty selection and awesome cost saving deals are by my wayside) - and I asked the deli counter man what I should do with pancetta and he answered without a beat: mix it with cornbread! So right then and there I decided to make:

Pancetta & Chive Cornbread Stuffed Chicken
(all of these words sound weird together but its the only thing I think I can call it).

Ingredients

3 Chicken Breasts
2 Slices of 1/4 thick Pancetta
Small amount of chopped onion
Chives
1 Premade Corn Bread Square (or make your own)
Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves

Step 1: Salt and Pepper the chicken.
Step 2: Heat stainless steel pan on medium with the garlic and olive oil. Toss in pancetta and chopped onion. Cook til browned but not burned, 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cooled - mix mix with cornbread until it resembles stuffing.
Step 3: Slice chicken down the middle - and stuff with the cornbread mixture. Reheat pan (pancetta oil should be still in the pan) and toss in garlic til soft looking. Preheat broiler.
Step 4: Cook over medium, covered for 12 minutes.
Step 5: Switch from the stove top to the broiler for 5 minutes.
Step 6: Eat.

Also while Shawn was at Whole Foods wandering around - he decided to make Homemade Strawberry Shortcake on Lemon Scones- the homemade part was the Chantilly Cream:
Chantilly Cream
Ingredients
Small Heavy Whipping Cream
1 tbs of Sugar
1 tbs of vanilla extract

Chill a metal bowl in the freezer for 1 hour (apparently the whisk as well) - and beat together until strong peaks are formed.

Fin. Done. Over. Thats all she wrote.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that not everyone's pee smells?! I, for example, have never experienced the asparagus pee smell phenomena.

    That dinner looks mad good. I want it.

    http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4586963_asparagus-urine-smell.html

    ReplyDelete