Thursday, February 18, 2010

Yummy Healthy Breakfast!


What a wonderful Presidents Day/ Valentines Day weekend I had this past Friday-Monday. I had the pleasure of entertaining two of my closest high school friends Jess and Meagan and showing them a great time in San Francisco. How can you justify staying in for any meal when you have a foodie city waiting for you to chomp all it has to offer? By making breakfast of course! We had a particularly Gluten Free weekend as one of my friends has a very restrictive diet. I made it my absolute mission to show her you can still have all your favorites when I am in charge. I must say it was a beautiful breakfast - I made:

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Polenta Waffles with a Fresh Fruit Agave Topping.
Makes 8 Waffles (4 people)
2 cups water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cup stone ground polenta
1 stick unsalted butter
4 eggs
1 cup buckwheat
1 teaspoon baking powder

Step One: Make the polenta by bringing water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Add polenta in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Stir frequently until polenta becomes thick, but still spoonable, about 15 minutes. Pour into large mixing bowl and stir in butter. Let stand to cool slightly, about five minutes.

Step Two:Preheat the waffle iron. Beat in eggs, one at a time. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder, then add to the polenta and gently stir in. Brush the grids with oil and spoon about a half cup of batter onto the hot grids. Close the lid and waffle until golden brown. Transfer to a rack and continue. Keep the rack in a 200-degree oven if you like.

Step Three: Combine the fruit of your choice with agave nectar and serve syrupy!



No comments:

Post a Comment