Thursday, May 20, 2010

Colors Of The World - Spice Up Your Life!


On Monday I made a pact with myself that I would try and eat a vegetable or a fruit at every meal. Its Thursday and I'm 10 meals down and its largely a success! Although, I am not sure if I am kidding myself with Morning Star Farms Veggie Sausage at breakfast but there must be some nutritional value in there somewhere, right? Like in a nook or a cranny?

Anyway, when youre cooking with leftovers (and in this case I mean 1 avocado and 1 anaheim pepper) - it allows you to splurge a little on the other ingredients (whoa, lying to myself is exhilarating!). I decided that splurge was last night! I bought Burratta cheese at Whole Foods. (gasp! its for rich people!) I'd been looking for a reason to buy the little adorable present for myself but usually the ideal pairing is with pasta and I didnt want something heavy. For those of you who dont know what Burratta is, its heaven. I dare any Vegan to come face to face with it and try and resist its debonair smile and oozing charm. It has the richness and crispness of a cool fresh buffalo mozzarella but then the stringiness and playfulness of an already melted cheese. I have a sneaking suspicion that on the weekend Burratta cheese is so amazing and altruistic it started a cleft palette clinic to cure thousands and gives backrubs and compliments to all housewives of America.

Spicy Lime Shrimp w/ Peppered Mango and Burratta Salad

Ingredients
1 Pound of Shrimp
1 Anaheim Pepper
1 Avocado
1 Lime
1 Mango
1 Cup Burratta
Pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste!

Step One: Peel shrimp (because you SHOULD NOT BE BUYING PRE COOKED SHRIMP) - and preheat oven to 350. Create little bowls with foil and add the shrimp, olive oil, lime juice and chopped anaheim pepper. Salt it. Toss it around and close em up and bake them for 10-15 minutes. Once cooked (shrimps should look pinky orange and have curled up like the Wicked Witch of the Wests toes...)

Step Two: Cut up your mango, slap on the cheese, pepper it up. Eat!

1 comment:

  1. Admission: I occasionally read Martha Stewart Living. She has a suggestion for an appetizer this month similar to the peppered mango. She uses chili powder on Mango, Papaya, Cantaloupe and Honeydew. She served them in wedges, standing upright in jewel toned disposable plastic cups. They looked gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete