Monday, May 10, 2010

Its CORN season!


Just down the street from my work is a restaurant chain called Tres Agaves. Its your typical Mexican corporation restaurant with a little more sophistication - instead of ground beef tacos from chevys youre getting a second grade carne asada. Nothing close to taco truck quality but better than Chilis. Anyhow, they have a side there called "elote" that I just absolutely fell in love with while there a few months ago. Shawn wanted to make tacos last night so I immediately thought about recreating this warm, spicy, comfort side I knew nothing about. Basically, I read the menu and fucking figured it out. I love when that happens.

Making this I realized two amazing truths: there's nothing more satisfying than corn season. And corn season also means CHERRY SEASON! OH SUMMER! How I missed you. What I wouldnt give for some Webbs farm stand corn from home.

This is a ballpark homerun, for sure. I am already craving seconds!

ALERT TO TRUE MEXICANS - sorry if this is not how you make traditional elote but as a gringo I tried my hardest.

Jalapeno Elote
Aka. Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Cheesey Goodness.
Ingredients
3 Ears Of Corn
1/3 cup sour cream (or crema).
1 cup queso fresco (in the food processor).
1 fresh jalapeno.
melted butter for corn.
Salt and Pepper to Taste!

Step One: Preheat oven to 350. Brush melted butter on corn and roast for 35 minutes or until you find it sufficiently toasted and brown. You can leave the husks on to steam them but I didnt know that and it came out just fine.

Step Two: While youre roasting the corn take the sour cream and the jalapenos and put them in the food processor as well. Make sure the peppers get really pureed or else youll end up with a mouth full thats not that pleasant. You want the heat to be evenly distributed. Combine with the already pulsed queso fresco in a bowl. It will resemble cottage cheese!

Step Three: Once the corn is done, shave it off and mix it up and serve it hot!










No comments:

Post a Comment