Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Weekend Update, You Ignorant Slut.

It was quite the relaxing weekend here in San Francisco with most of our friends out of town. Friday started off a little shaky as I locked my keys in the car, got a ticket for street cleaning and had a generally crazy miserable day.....but it finished nicely with a new haircut where I got borderline bangs.

Saturday we went out for sushi at my new favorite sushi place in the city, that I had been meaning to try forever! Zushi Puzzle. You my fine sir lived up to your reputation. As usual Michael ordered for the table and was spot on. He did not miss a beat! Afterwards we went to the SF Sketchfest @ Cobbs where they were playing Gameshow Explosion with Scott Aukerman, Michael Ian Black, Doug Benson, Scott Foley, Paul F Tomkins and Andy Richter playing! Essentially, they were drunk ripping on each other and I laughed alot - all in all a great San Francisco night!


Sunday morning my good friend Jackie had her annual pancake breakfast in the East Bay which provided me an outlet to make something and be creative - so I made Darcy's Vegan Apple and Rosemary Scones - but to be honest, I made them non vegan. I replaced the Almond Milk with Milk and the Shortening with butter. I know it was going again the grain but I know she'll forgive me.


And other than that - I read alot - finished The Lovely Bones (thanks nat!) and played a lot of Yahtzee. :)


Apple Rosemary Scones
1 1/4 cups almond (or other non dairy) milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
2 tablespoons dried rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cup diced apple (about two apples)
2 tablespoons canola oil1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Step One: preheat oven to 375. lightly grease a baking sheet (or two) or line with parchment paper. measure out the milk in a measuring cup and add the vinegar to it. set aside to curdle.
combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, rosemary, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. add the shortening in small clumps then use your fingers or a pastry cutter to cut it into the flour until the dough texture becomes pebblelike. mix in the apple pieces.


Step Two: create a well in the center and add the milk mixture, oil, and vanilla. mix with a wooden spoon until about half of the flour is incorporated. mix again until all the ingredients are just moistened, taking care not to overmix. a couple of dry-looking spots are fine.
lightly grease a 1/4 cup measuring cup and use to scoop the scones onto the prepared baking sheets. dust the tops of the scones with more sugar, then bake for 18 to 22 minutes until the tops are lightly browned and firm to the touch. transfer to a cooling rack to cool (or eat warm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment