Monday, October 26, 2009

Hurry Up! While Fall Lasts....

After relocating to Los Angeles 4 years ago I had my doubts about ever really seeing fall again. I grew up with my grandfather giving hay rides, belly flops into leaf piles and hot apple cider donuts at Appleland. I thought that forever it would be part of my past, not my present. Luckily, after moving to San Francisco I have discovered - we have fall here! The leaves change (if you look close enough), people carve pumpkins and roast seeds - I am happy my Upstate New York childhood is NOT lost.

Also, being in San Fran almost a year and a few months now - I am now part of traditions! Weee! This is the 2nd year I attended the Malmantine Carving party in Daly City. This year I brought something that to me is quintessentially fall but the adult version of something favorite:

Roasted Butternut Squash, Basil and Garlic Pizza
Ingredients
2 Cups Cubed Butternut Squash
2 Small Balls Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
Fresh Basil
Fresh Garlic
3 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg.
Salt & Pepper to taste
Pre made pizza dough (so what?)

Step One: Preheat the oven to 350. Toss the uncooked squash in olive oil, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Roast for 30 minutes or until crispy and cooked through. Once cooled, put in the food processor until pureed. Salt & Pepper again.

Step Two: Roll out dough, use the squash as a sauce then top with mozzarella, garlic and basil - cook for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.


For the record: my two favorite pumpkin carving are shown here! Erin's is the cyclops and Shawn's is the skull.


No comments:

Post a Comment