Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hello, Awesome.

I wasn't lying when I said there would be a total extreme consumption of everything Pumpkin this season. I'm pretty much hoping to puke orange by Christmas. I've been scouring the blogs for good heartwarming friendly sexy warm fall recipes - but Shawn has topped me for the 2nd time! Behold: Curried Pumpkin Apple Soup.

This dish, however, was made under different circumstances - it was an olive branch from Shawn after to go to the Emergency Room with me on Sunday (granted, it was after a 7 hour flight back from Wisconsin) - where I was diagnosed with strep throat. And what a delicious NON OLIVE olive branch.

I would make a lame joke about how he should fuck up more often but its pretty much rare that he ever does anything wrong :) so I'll take it every once in a while.

Curried Pumpkin Apple Soup
Ingredients
4 tablespoons vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup onion, chopped
2 apples, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 cups broth
1-1/2 cups apple cider
2 cups pureed pumpkin (buttercup squash can also be used)
1 cup light cream or 1% milk
1/4 teaspoon maple syrup
1 cup fresh or frozen greens, chopped (kale, collards, spinach)

Directions:In large saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons of broth. Add onions, apples and garlic. Sauté until soft, about five minutes. Add spices, cook for one minute. Add broth and cider. Boil gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, cream/milk, and syrup. Cook for five minutes. In batches, purée in a blender or food processor. Return to saucepan, add chopped greens, and heat until warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment