Monday, November 16, 2009

THIS IS NOT HUMMUS

I have been getting good lately tailoring specific meals to different people. Vegans. Gluten Frees. Lactose Intolerant. I forgot however - Jenny doesnt like hummus, or hummus like things. I guess i didnt forget so much as "never know". but all the same, I felt bad.

Friday night my close friends Jenny and Evie from college and Los Angeles came into town for the weekend and I decided a quiet night in and a homemade dinner over wine was in order. Evie cant eat too much cheese - so I decided a nice appetizer would be a chickpea spread, not unlike the kind you get when you have dinner at Firefly. I forgot to take pictures of it (MISSED BLOGGGING OPPORTUNITY ALERT) - but I made Almond Encrusted Chicken over Lemony Pomegranate Spinach for dinner. I think it was too healthy in the end to be overly wow-able.

We had a fantastic weekend in the sunshine, though. Saturday we had breakfast at Tartine (on Gough), lunch was sandwiches from Bi-Rite and then people watching in Dolores park. For dinner and the BEST margarita in town we went to El Toreadore in West Portal - and then a nice Mission goodbye breakfast at The Pork Store.

Sadly, I didnt take any pictures this weekend :( but enjoy the recipe!

Curried Chickpea Spread
Ingredients
2 cans of chickpeas, drained
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 cups chicken broth (can be made veggie).
5 sun dried tomatoes, chopped.
1/4 cup olive oil.
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 juiced, + zest

Step One: Heat a pan over medium heat with the chopped garlic. Add broth. Simmer the chickpeas and sun dried tomato covered for 15 minutes or until soft. Let cool for 10 minutes or until warm, but not steaming hot.

Step Two: Transfer to the food processor.(I needed two batches as I have a tiny tiny one) - and pulse until mashed then stream in the olive oil. Once removed from the machine - add in the smoked paprika, the curry powder and the lemon juice + some zest.

Step Three: Refrigerate for minimum two hours and serve cold.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment